Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: Toy Story 3

Pixar is now, what, 11 for 11?

As a sequel, TS3 does suffer from replaying various bits of shtik that you've seen before. But the whole framing story works well, and the last scene is a bit of a tear jerker. There are also several laugh out loud moments in which I think the whole audience was laughing at once. No mean feat, that.

I saw the film in 3D. I can honestly say that I did not see one case where 3D was used obtrusively, as a gimmick, an effect you were supposed to notice. Neither was the film flat. I think the filmmakers hit an effective balance. (The same cannot be said for Avatar, for example.)

Pros:
Spanish Buzz
Ken
Totoro as Miyazaki homage

Cons:
"Night and Day", the short before the main film, was not as strong as previous films. I know, I'm reaching.

No comments: